Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shogi rules
2014-03-07, 01:42 AM
Shogi rules
Hi, in 81Dojo, you don't win directly by mating the king (tsumi), but indirectly, since your opponent is left with no choice but to resign (more polite), or forfeit by time or illegal move (less polite). Is that how it works in the "real world"? Like, does an adjudicator declare victory in an official tournament if one player gets mated, or does the loser have to resign or forfeit first, or what?

And is there an online source I can verify it with?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-03-07, 10:23 PM
RE: Shogi rules
Please see this: http://81dojo.com/documents/index.php/Ru...i#Game_End

One must resign when his king is checkmated.
2016-01-18, 01:28 PM
Glad I found this topic. I saw this on the chat pane:

# Caution: Users who end their losing games by intentional illegal moves are being banned.

How do you tell what are "intentional illegal moves"? And why should it matter? A loss is a loss; all are caught automatically. Just curious.
2016-01-18, 08:26 PM
I seems a bit counter-productive to design an interface to allow actions that can serve no other purpose than ban players that use this possibility. If the idea is to educate people into polite Shogi etiquette, it seems more effective and user-friendly to just have the interface refuse any illegal move in a checkmated position, and only accept pressing of the resign button to terminate the game.