Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When could I really say, I am a Kyu-player or Dan-player??
2014-05-08, 03:45 AM (This post was last modified: 2014-05-08 09:42 AM by Norvegr.)
When could I really say, I am a Kyu-player or Dan-player??
Hello there!!!

I am a beginner Tongue but when could I state, when asked for example, that I am a Kyu-player or Dan-player? I mean, for example in 81dojo even when I am a beginner I have a Kyu rank, and suppose a genius guy/girl that have just started today morning for the first time in his/her life have a Dan rank by the afternoon… Could I already state I am a kyu-player and he/she is a Dan-player when both are beginners??
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-05-08, 07:27 AM
RE: When could I really say, I am a Kyu-player or Dan-player??
You are a kyuu player if you have a kyuu rank and a dan player if you have a dan rank. It is complicated a bit by the fact that the ranks vary greatly depending on where you play, so unless you're talking about offline ranks it's probably just better to say that you have a certain rank at a certain server.
Find all posts by this user
2014-05-08, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 2014-05-08 07:41 AM by Norvegr.)
(2014-05-08 07:27 AM)Kupo Wrote:  You are a kyuu player if you have a kyuu rank and a dan player if you have a dan rank. It is complicated a bit by the fact that the ranks vary greatly depending on where you play, so unless you're talking about offline ranks it's probably just better to say that you have a certain rank at a certain server.

Ok, thanks Smile then I am a 10-kyu player, and going down, here at 81dojo Big Grin I will update my user profile from beginner to Kyu-Player Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2015-03-19, 09:32 PM
Hi, in 81Dojo, you don't win directly by mating the king (tsumi), but indirectly, since your opponent is left with no choice but to resign (more polite), or forfeit by time or illegal move (less polite). Is that how it works in the "real world"? Like, does an adjudicator declare victory in an official tournament if one player gets mated, or does the loser have to resign or forfeit first, or what?

Our excellent online http://www.spanishprograms.com training programs will lead you to success in the We als offer latest and spanishprograms - spanish classes portland with 100%
2015-03-19, 09:47 PM
(2015-03-19 09:32 PM)zeomkean Wrote:  Hi, in 81Dojo, you don't win directly by mating the king (tsumi), but indirectly, since your opponent is left with no choice but to resign (more polite), or forfeit by time or illegal move (less polite). Is that how it works in the "real world"? Like, does an adjudicator declare victory in an official tournament if one player gets mated, or does the loser have to resign or forfeit first, or what?

The illegal move in checkmate though should be stopped. If you drop nifu, that's it. Same should happen if you are in mate. Not allow a player to grab the mating piece in protest and then lose by illegal move.
2015-04-15, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-01-26 05:16 AM by DoubleU.)
(2014-05-08 07:27 AM)Kupo Wrote:  You are a kyuu player if you have a kyuu rank and a dan player if you have a dan rank. It is complicated a bit by the fact that the ranks vary greatly depending on where you play, so unless you're talking about offline ranks it's probably just better to say that you have a certain rank at a certain server.
I was under the impression that a dan player, to quote my taekwondo teacher, "knows all the basics", which means something like he could no longer benefit from general lessons, but only from specific situations. A kyuu would be the opposite, and still have general lessons to learn.