Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best/proper Reply Gokigen vs. 4th File Rook
2015-10-19, 02:49 AM
Best/proper Reply Gokigen vs. 4th File Rook
I am having trouble finding a good response to 4th file Rook strategies when I play Gokigen Central Rook. Usually I try to block up the file by pushing the 3rd pawn and then moving my sliver up, which has worked, but....what is the best way? Is right-hand Mino a good castle for this situation?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-10-20, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 2015-10-20 10:09 PM by nexxogen.)
RE: Best/proper Reply Gokigen vs. 4th File Rook
I don't really know much about double ranging rook openings, and I'm not a strong player, but from what I know, double ranging rook games often have "twin gold" castles (金無双). Now, I'm not sure if there's a variant of this castle suitable for nakabisha...
[Image: 15da8dbb.JPG]
2015-10-21, 02:59 AM (This post was last modified: 2015-10-21 03:01 AM by laanan.)
(2015-10-20 10:08 PM)nexxogen Wrote:  I don't really know much about double ranging rook openings, and I'm not a strong player, but from what I know, double ranging rook games often have "twin gold" castles (金無双). Now, I'm not sure if there's a variant of this castle suitable for nakabisha...
[Image: 15da8dbb.JPG]

Thank you for the reply!

I think this castle is called Peerless Golds, right? I seem to remember a Hidetchi lesson, or maybe I read somewhere explaining why people quit using it. Which reminds me to go back to Hidetchi's lecture series on ranging rook vs ranging rook.

The problem with the castle you show is the gold on 5h. It is right where the rook wants to be in Gokigen Central Rook. Sometimes I abandon the 5th file in this strategy, so this castle could work in those instances.

But, this castle shows why it is difficult to develop a castle while playing Gokigen. The balance is messed up because the rook hogs the center. One way to play is to try and get to the end game quickly, so that both kings are in a crapy position. Then it all depends on the relative safety of the kings, as well as how tight your endgame strategy is. I hate it when I lose only to go back and find I missed a clear brink or checkmate opportunity!

Other options I have tried against 4th rook are left Mino and right Yagura. I think next game I'll go for left side half Mino...or maybe boat...

I know I made mental commitment to play another opening for awhile, but I really enjoy the bloodiness of Gokigen ;-)
2015-10-27, 03:06 AM
I actually like 'takamino' in ranging rook. Lots of space to move about and it's a tough nut to break down despite the visible holes.

I'm not a fan of peerless gold but that is likely my failing and not that of the castle.