Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good mobile app with time controls
2016-01-01, 01:49 AM
Good mobile app with time controls
Hi all. I just subscribed to this forum as well as to the dojo. I have already played some 200 shogi games, but without time constraint. When trying to follow a game, as a guest, on the dojo, I feel I'm not able to concentrate, since I keep looking at the clock, mainly when in byoyomi. I noticed I have to exercise time management abilities.
I tried to find some good mobile app, with multiple engine levels and time control, but wasn't able. I have tried the free version of Kanazawa shogi (only the first 100 levels, which I can beat easily, without time pressure), but it doesn't have time controls, so I imagine that the paid version (300 levels) won't also. I really can't get why, since the software is well done in all aspects. Most english language software don't seem to have time controls and those that have, have no (or bad) engines. The japanese ones are a pain in the ass to navigate through.
Is there a good app with reasonable engines and time controls? It can be japanese, if setting the game is easy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-01-03, 01:23 AM
RE: Good mobile app with time controls
Hi,

maybe it would help, if you tell about what OS you speak when saying "mobile app".

If speaking about Andkroid, I've to say the following:

I don't understand about what FREE app of Kanazawa shogi you are speaking.
There is the free "Shogi Lv.100 Lite", but you can play "only" a few levels, but with level 92 also one of the strongest. Than there is the unrestricted (nonfree) "Shogi Lv.100", but even I also don't own it, it hasn't the time-feature you are looking for, as you can read in the description.

Still I own Kanazawa Shogi 2 and I'm wondering, that it HAS a time feature. Most programs (also on windows) don't have time restrictions for the human player.
You can choose between 10s, 20s, 30s and 60s Byoyomi WITHOUT any initial time or 3 min or 10 min total (sudden death).
There is NO (!!!) Byoyomi sound, so you have to take care a lot about the time. On the other side, maybe it's not too bad this way. When you are in a real tournament in a big room, maybe byoyomi-sound is disturbing other players and not allowed.

But what's wrong training time management also on 81 dojo??? You can also play free games (with time limit) there.

Do you have the possibility to play local (with a friend or in a club)? Than you can play there with a real clock. It also helps practising for a real tournament, where sometimes player forget to push the button.

And even you like to play against an engine, you can also use a clock, where you have to push the button also after the engine moves, controlling yourself your timelimit.

BCM
2016-01-03, 12:58 PM
If I got it right, Kanazawa Shogi 2 doesn't allow games with initial time AND byoyomi. We must choose between byoyomi from the beginning or sudden death. Is this it? I really can't understand the reason for such a development choice since, as far as I understand, initial time allocation followed by byoyomi is the most traditional control time rule. Or isn't it? Well, but that is better than nothing.
I want a mobile app in order to be able to play when away from my desktop. A clock wouldn't be practical.
I prefer playing humans than playing engines, for sure, but I noticed that most players in 81 dojo are much better rated than me and I want, at least, to be able to play a game without blundering all the time due to time pressure. I think it would be boring for the opponent player. If at least I get to develop some time management sense, I can go for handicapped games in 81dojo.
2016-01-04, 05:10 AM
(2016-01-03 12:58 PM)Arthur D. Wrote:  If I got it right, Kanazawa Shogi 2 doesn't allow games with initial time AND byoyomi. We must choose between byoyomi from the beginning or sudden death. Is this it? I really can't understand the reason for such a development choice since, as far as I understand, initial time allocation followed by byoyomi is the most traditional control time rule. Or isn't it? Well, but that is better than nothing.
I want a mobile app in order to be able to play when away from my desktop. A clock wouldn't be practical.
I prefer playing humans than playing engines, for sure, but I noticed that most players in 81 dojo are much better rated than me and I want, at least, to be able to play a game without blundering all the time due to time pressure. I think it would be boring for the opponent player. If at least I get to develop some time management sense, I can go for handicapped games in 81dojo.

If you can win against "Shogi Lv.100" at all level, you are not such weak. Wink

It doesn't matter anything, if most players, maybe 1000 or 10000 are better than you, if there are only maybe 10 at the same level like you, against which you should play.
2016-01-07, 06:50 AM (This post was last modified: 2016-01-07 06:51 AM by Arthur D..)
Well, I beat level 100 of "Shogi Lv.100" without time limit, but with time limit, at least for the moment, my level drops significantly and I think I must be below the default 9 kyu. Much below, I imagine.
2017-01-17, 04:21 PM
I have a Dojo Mobile. It is a best toolkit which responds the mobile applications required. It is a group of classes that architected to be extendable, flexible and lightweight. It has created for the interface of iOS, Android and BlackBerry.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user